FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is the Foundation Year?
Foundation Year is a programme for all candidates for B.SC. studies at Warsaw University of Technology (WUT). The programme is designed to improve the students’ skills and create a solid base in the subjects such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and basic engineering subjects as well as to enhance their Academic English proficiency. It will help students to successfully continue their studies at undergraduate programmes at Warsaw University of Technology, pass all exams on time and obtain a B.SC. diploma with a good grade.
2. Why I was directed to study at the Foundation Year Programme?
The Faculty has the right to issue a CAL-B (Conditional Acceptance Letter-B) which means that the student’s application is accepted by them but the requirement to start studies at one of the Warsaw University of Technology (WUT) Faculties is to finish the Foundation Year Programme and complete issuing the required admission documents (apostille, eligibility statement, English Language International B2 Certificate, tuition fee confirmation).
3. Who can participate in The Foundation Year?
The Foundation Year is addressed to 1 type of candidate:
1. Candidates for undergraduate programmes at Warsaw University of Technology (WUT) who have started their application procedures to the University, uploaded required documents and took placement tests in Mathematics and English language, but at the moment their qualifications in the above subjects do not allow them to directly begin B.Sc. studies at WUT. What is placement test?
Candidates, by attending the Foundation Year have the opportunity to improve in subjects such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Academic English, Engineering and Information Technology and then start studies at the chosen faculty at Warsaw University of Technology.
4. What courses will the students be offered at the Foundation Year?
During the Foundation Year, the students will participate in the following courses:
• Introduction to Information Technologies
• Introduction to Engineering
• Academic English
• Polish Language
• Polish Culture
5. What is the duration of the Foundation Year?
The duration of the Foundation Year is one academic year. The programme consists of 2 semesters. The Foundation Year will cover a total of 600 academic hours.
6. What is the number of hours per semester in the Foundation Year programme?
There are 300 hours per each semester. For number of hours per subject check Courses.
7. Can I get accommodation in the University dormitories?
Yes, all students of the Foundation Year will be offered places in WUT dormitories. Students will be able to stay in double or triple rooms. Due to the COVID-19 situation, this information is subject to change.
8. Can I study at Warsaw University of Technology after the completion of the Foundation Year?
Yes, all students of the Foundation Year who will participate in classes regularly, produce all the required assignments and receive credits for all the subjects offered in the programme, will be able to begin studies at a chosen faculty after completing the Foundation Year.
9. Can I change the choosen Faculty after completion of Foundation Year?
If you will change your mind and decide to choose another Faculty there is a possibility but you will have to apply for CAL (Conditional Acceptance Letter) one more time.
10. Will I receive a certificate at the end of the Foundation Year?
At the end of the Foundation Year each student will receive a special Certificate of Completion. In order to obtain it, the student must get sufficient number of credits in all courses and prove regular attendance.
The Certificate will allow the candidate to start studies at the 1st semester of a chosen undergraduate programme at Warsaw University of Technology.
11. How can I register at the Foundation Year?
The Foundation Year is offered to 1 type of candidate:
1.Candidates for undergraduate programmes at Warsaw University of Technology (WUT) who have started their application procedures to the University, uploaded required documents and took placement tests in Mathematics and English language, but at the moment their qualifications in the above subjects do not allow them to directly begin B.Sc. studies at WUT.
Application. These candidates must first start their online application at www.students.pw.edu.pl, upload the required documents and take placement tests in Mathematics and English language. Those applicants who do not obtain the required number of points in the placement tests, will be offered participation in the Foundation Year.
Those candidates who decide to study at the Foundation Year, must first fill in the enrolment card, sign the participation agreement, provide the required English certificate, send the Conditional Accceptance Letter from the Faculty and make the payment of the tuition fee for the whole year of studies. The scans of the above-mentioned documents must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The agreement to sign will be sent by the University. After sending back the signed agreement and making the payment of the tuition fee, the candidates will receive a formal visa letter, which will include information that they will be studying at the Foundation Year at Warsaw University of Technology and will begin regular studies at the chosen WUT Faculty in the following academic year, on condition that they pass all compulsory subjects of the Foundation Year and receive a Certificate of Completion prior to the beginning of studies.
Application. These candidates must send the scans of the following documents to email@example.com :
- Foundation Year enrolment card
- English certificate (list here http://www.students.pw.edu.pl/index.php?id=35)
- Conditional Acceptance Letter from the Faculty (issued during the application procedures to the Univeristy) >>>> How to get a Conditional Acceptance Letter
- Agreement on participation in Foundation Year
- Proof of tuition fee payment. Tuition fee payment for Foundation Year (October 2021 intake) is 14 000 PLN.
After sending back the signed agreement and making the payment of the tuition fee, the candidates will receive a formal visa letter, which will include information that they will be studying at the Foundation Year Programme at Warsaw University of Technology and will be granted accommodation in the University’s dormitory for the period of the programme duration.
12. Do Foundation Year students have the same rights as other WUT students?
- We cannot give you a student identity card because you are not an official student of the Warsaw University of Technology since you are only part of the preparatory program
- You receive an official student card when you enter the first year of the Warsaw University of Technology
- You can receive the International Student Identity Card (ISIC), which will give you discounts in museums, hostels and shops, but not public transport (go to: www.isic.pl)
13. What are the assessment procedures of Foundation Year students?
Students are obliged to obtain credit for all the subjects offered in the programme.
Students who fail one of the subjects in the winter semester may continue studies in the summer semester on condition that they achieve the required learning outcomes and obtain credit for the course by March 30th of a given year.
Students who fail more than one subject in the winter semester may continue studies in the summer semester provided they obtain a favourable decision of the President of the Programme Board.
14. How does the application process for the Faculty/Field of studies at the WUT looks like?
- Students who will complete successfully Foundation Year (receiving certificate) and who want to complete application process for the same Faculty/Field of study will log in to the system (https://www.cwm.pw.edu.pl/apply/index.php/rekrutacja/default/rejestracja) –> accounts will be refreshed and the documents which were uploaded a year ago will be visible again.
Please remember that until by (the deadline will be provided in June) you have to upload remaining admission documents: Eligibility statement, B2 certificate, legalization of Secondary School leaving certificate and payment confirmation for at least I semester.
Important! The deadline is strict! If someone has already collected all the mentioned documents (especially legalization paper) please go to the ISO (Main Building; room no 233 Pl. Politechniki 1, Warsaw) for personal verification of your documents.
If all the documents will be verified positively and ISO will receive payment confirmation in 3 days’ time from the start of verification process the Candidate will receive Final Acceptance Letter (FAL) which allows you to apply for Visa at the Embassy (Polish Consulate in particular country). Please be informed that FAL is not sufficient for applying for Residence Card. If Candidate wants to receive a “certificate” from the Faculty (except Power and Aeronautical Engineering Faculty) he or she should ask for it at the ISO office. Please be aware that sending a request through the application system, “the certificate”, which is necessary for applying for a residence card, can only be issued after receiving FAL. Every person who will complete their on-line application process and from (the deadline will be provited soon) will register in personal at the ISO office (room no 233; Main Building), can ask for “the certificate” at their own Faculty, 7 days after the date of personal registration.
- Students who did not complete the Foundation Year course or want to change the chosen Faculty/Field of study can register a new account and pay 85 PLN (date on the payment confirmation should not be later than- the deadline will be provided soon). After receiving a confirmation that the account is activated and receiving access to the placement tests (5 days after registering an account) you will have 14 days to do the tests. In 14 days’ time after completing the mentioned tests students will get an information from the Faculty about admission to the WUT or re-direct you for Foundation Year again. Once you will get the decision from the Faculty you should upload all the admission documents until (the deadline will be provided soon). If someone has those documents with them can also visit ISO office in order to verify them.
15. Can I work during the Foundation Year?
You are NOT allowed to work in Poland during studying in Foundation Year. You applied for the visa as a candidate of Foundation Year Program and you received Individual Country Visa D nr 11 which means that purpose of visa issuance as indicated on your visa is training or education in forms other than full-time courses available at universities (such as post-secondary schools etc.)
Coronavirus information and recommendation for enterring Poland >>> here
16. Will I get a Student Card?
For the students of the Foundation Year Program we do not provide student ID cards. Since you are not an official student of the Warsaw University of Technology we cannot legally provide you with an ID. You only receive an official student card once you begin your first year in the full-time studies (choosen Bachelor Program).
You can receive the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) which will give you discounts in museums, hostels and shops, but not public transport (go to: www.isic.pl).